Friday, October 28, 2011

pizza salad

You can alter and improvise this basic recipe according to taste and available ingredients; the main thing is to assemble it – except for the cheese – as least 24 hours ahead of time. This is one of my favorite things to take to a potluck, and I like to save a serving for myself and eat it about a week later, though I'd never take anything that aged to a polite gathering.

•1 yellow bell pepper
•1 red pell pepper
•1 orange bell pepper
•1 green bell pepper (I vary the peppers according to current price)
•1 medium red onion
•1 container cherry tomatoes - cut each into halves or quarters
•1 or 2 4-ounce cans of sliced black olives
•1/4 ellbee sliced pepperoni
•Italian salad dressing

Slice all the above ingredients either coarse or fine, but for appearance and mouth-feel I'd advise being consistent. Pour on Italian dressing, toss, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Before serving or taking to event, drain excess Italian dressing, add and toss to blend well: shredded mozzarella cheese - I buy it already shredded in those bags and use about 1/2 of the bag (not sure what weight, but not the giant size—maybe 4 or 6 oz.) per regular-size salad 1/3 cup grated parmesan or parmesan and romano cheese.

No comments: